Birth to Six Months of Age
- Clean your infant’s mouth with gauze or use a soft infant toothbrush after feedings and at bedtime.
- If breastfeeding, wipe your baby’s mouth as soon as the baby is done.
Six to 12 Months of Age
- During this time, the first tooth should appear and you should visit your pediatric dentist to establish your baby’s dental home.
- Consult your child’s pediatric dentist regarding fluoride supplements.
- Brush teeth after each feeding and at bedtime with a small infant safety brush.
- Do not be discouraged if your baby cries or fights you. It is important to establish a tooth-brushing routine early on. Your baby’s healthy smile will be worth the fuss.
- As your child begins to walk, be on the lookout for falls and stumbles. If your baby has a fall refer to our emergency information.