Can you believe it is time to go back to school again? While you are shopping for back to school supplies we put our heads together to give you some fun dental trivia. Here is ten fun facts about teeth. How many of these facts did you know?
Did you know…
- Tooth enamel is the hardest part of your body—even harder than your bones!
- If you only brush and skip flossing, you will only clean 60% of your tooth! Would you want to only clean 60% of your body? Make sure you brush AND floss twice a day.
- The most common disease in the united states in the common cold. Do you want to guess what comes in second? Yup, dental cavities! Infact, dental decay is the most common childhood disease in the united states.
- The longer food stays in the mouth, the higher the chance for dental decay. This is why brushing and flossing before bed is crucial to good dental health.
- More than 50% of people say that a smile is the first thing they notice about someone. Giving you even more incentive to brush and floss.
- Giraffes only have bottom teeth.
- We humans have 32 teeth,Dogs have 42 teeth, cats have 30 teeth, pigs have 44 teeth, and an armadillo has 104 teeth.
- Toothpaste was used as long ago as 500 BC in China and India. Toothpastes included ingredients such as soot, honey, crushed egg shells, and ground ox’s hooves!
- In 1816, Sir Isaac Newton’s tooth was sold in London for today’s equivalent of $35,700. I bet the tooth fairy was glad she did not have to pay for that tooth!
- In China, September 20th is an official holiday known as “Love Your Teeth Day.”
Here at home, we love our teeth too. So while you are out picking up those school supplies don’t forget to stock up on toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss. And make sure to get in your dental checkup too!